Zone 91
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Immortal Animal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakue
Level 5
Level 5
Drakue

Badges : Immortal Animal LetterHdg Immortal Animal Paintbrush Immortal Animal Retro-Question-Cloud-icon

Warning Level : Immortal Animal WarningBar-Gloss6sharp

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:28 am

Immortal Animal Hydra

Scientists have known for several years that the polyp Hydra displayed signs of negligible senescence. It appears as though this animal can only die from predation or disease.
One of the ways in which the Hydra can do this is because of continuous proliferation of stem cells. This year, researchers in Germany gained a better understanding of this process, and believe their findings have relevance to ageing in humans. They identified the gene FoxO, which is known to play a role in ageing, and they genetically modified three groups of Hydra. One group had normal FoxO levels, one group had inactivated FoxO, and one group had enhanced FoxO levels. They were able to show that the Hydra with inactive FoxO started to have severe complications with their immune systems. Many of these complications mirrored immune system dysfunction that is seen in elderly humans.
The team concluded that FoxO plays a critical role in ageing, and that immune system function and stem cell proliferation may be the key to prolonging the human lifespan as well.

Full article: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/11/09/1209714109

Well, okay, not totally immortal - disease and predation still holds a chance of death, but with this new research there is a chance we could manipulate this gene for ourselves. Isn't that cool?
Back to top Go down
Felixxilef
Level 4
Level 4
Felixxilef

Warning Level : Immortal Animal WarningBar-Gloss1

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:20 pm

You would enjoy reading a book called Supernature, by Lyall Watson.
Back to top Go down
Drakue
Level 5
Level 5
Drakue

Badges : Immortal Animal LetterHdg Immortal Animal Paintbrush Immortal Animal Retro-Question-Cloud-icon

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Felixxilef wrote:
You would enjoy reading a book called Supernature, by Lyall Watson.

Sounds like a good book, but I thought you said "Supernatural" for a second there and got all excited... :c
Back to top Go down
Felixxilef
Level 4
Level 4
Felixxilef

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:06 pm

No, Supernature. Read it, and you will get far more excited about the planet you live on than you ever have felt via fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Felixxilef
Level 4
Level 4
Felixxilef

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

The subject matter of most of this book is so controversial that I have felt it necessary to give detailed references to all my sources of information. These appear as numbers in the text, which refer to the bibliography. Most are papers published in reputable journals, and where I have myself not been able to check the findings, I have had to rely on the fact that most editors send material to expert referees before accepting it for final publication. Wherever possible, I have consulted the original source material and found that this paid huge dividends. A report in Scientific American of March 1965, for instance, under the title 'Eyeless Vision Unmasked', claimed that Rosa Kuleshova was a fraud and that 'peeking is easy, according to those who understand mentalist acts'.

This natural history of the supernatural is designed to extend the traditional five senses into areas where others have been operating undercover. It is an attempt to fit all nature, the known and the unknown, into the body of Supernature and to show that, of all the faculties we possess, none is more important at this time than a wide-eyed sense of wonder. Lyall Watson, Ph.D. Ios, Greece, 1971
Back to top Go down
Drakue
Level 5
Level 5
Drakue

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 8:08 am

Felixxilef wrote:
The subject matter of most of this book is so controversial that I have felt it necessary to give detailed references to all my sources of information. These appear as numbers in the text, which refer to the bibliography. Most are papers published in reputable journals, and where I have myself not been able to check the findings, I have had to rely on the fact that most editors send material to expert referees before accepting it for final publication. Wherever possible, I have consulted the original source material and found that this paid huge dividends. A report in Scientific American of March 1965, for instance, under the title 'Eyeless Vision Unmasked', claimed that Rosa Kuleshova was a fraud and that 'peeking is easy, according to those who understand mentalist acts'.

This natural history of the supernatural is designed to extend the traditional five senses into areas where others have been operating undercover. It is an attempt to fit all nature, the known and the unknown, into the body of Supernature and to show that, of all the faculties we possess, none is more important at this time than a wide-eyed sense of wonder. Lyall Watson, Ph.D. Ios, Greece, 1971

Starting to sound a little bit psychics-anonymous to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Felixxilef
Level 4
Level 4
Felixxilef

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Well, it does cover cosmic law and order, man and the cosmos, the physics of life, mind over matter, matter and magic, signs of mind, transcendence, the cosmic mind and new dimensions (In that order!). But it is grounded in science. He wrote it as a a way to look scientifically at the supernatural. It is pretty persuasive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Immortal Animal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal Animal   Immortal Animal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Immortal Animal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zone 91 :: Entertainment :: Science & Technology-
Jump to: