Zone 91
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakue
Level 5
Level 5
Drakue

Badges : Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread LetterHdg Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Paintbrush Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Retro-Question-Cloud-icon

Warning Level : Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread WarningBar-Gloss6sharp

Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:50 pm

So. This guy, amIright?

Does anybody else even know this guy? He's written a LOT of fantastic books, with great humor and some fantastic story talons, that hook you in.

Will post examples later...
Back to top Go down
Jakethefalcon
Level 5
Level 5
Jakethefalcon

Badges : Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread LetterHdg Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Event_invite16

Warning Level : Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread WarningBar-Gloss1

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 3:30 pm

I've never heard of him..
I'll be glad to see your examples..
Back to top Go down
https://zone91.forumotion.com
Drakue
Level 5
Level 5
Drakue

Badges : Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread LetterHdg Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Paintbrush Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Retro-Question-Cloud-icon

PostSubject: REAL posting   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 4:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett

I love his books. The ones I own are the following, I'll provide however brief a description I can from memory / wiki.

He also did a couple of movies, however the only one I've seen is The Hogfather. I beleive that it wasn't given the proper funding it should have gotten, however it did the book quite a bit of justice considering.

The Discworld series
Now this is the bomb. The diskworld is a world which is flat - yes, flat. But that's not the weird part. On this world there's natural magic, which some people (like wizards) use for magic... but that's not the weird part. The weird part is that it rides on the back of four elephants which, in turn, ride on the back of a giant turtle.

Oh, and sometimes the third elephant has to cock it's leg to allow the sun to go round.

Most of TP's books are set in this fantstic, satyrical and relativly realistic imaginary world, and some even bring up startling questions about our own reality, and what it means to the people of the Diskworld. Are we the imaginated characters, or are they? Did we as people assume the role of gods in creating them, or is it correct that (in the words of one of the famous philosiphers of the diskworld), 'Things just happen, what the hell.'?

The Fifth Elephant
This is a great little book that I stole borrowed from a library when I was slightly younger. It involves dwarves, the King of Under, Uberfeld, and Sam Vimes, the most out-of-place coppa' in a place he doesn't belong, being accused of trying to assasinate a king of something he doesn't quite understand, and if that isn't enough he's now being chased butt-naked through the snow. By warewolves.
...Intelligent warewolves.

(Sorry, those are the only two that come to mind and my eyes are getting blurry on account of the extream sweat [fucking heatwave] and tiredness. More will be added.)
Back to top Go down
Jakethefalcon
Level 5
Level 5
Jakethefalcon

Badges : Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread LetterHdg Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Event_invite16

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Cool! I'll have to check it out! Are his book available at most libraries, do you know?
Back to top Go down
https://zone91.forumotion.com
Drakue
Level 5
Level 5
Drakue

PostSubject: Librarian   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:59 am

I've worked in a couple of local libraries and they all had at least one book by him. I suggest looking around, and if you can't find any then you're bound to find some online.
Back to top Go down
Felixxilef
Level 4
Level 4
Felixxilef

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm

When I was growing up the Discworld novels were one of my favourite sets of books. One day, when I am not so busy all the time, I will go back and read the series again. I used to draw pictures, too, of scenes and characters from the books. I have a thing for death. Death is a thing for me. I like death. This double entendre is going nowhere clever, but I am going to hammer it to death. Death.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread   Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 1